Saturday, October 21, 2017

Nanowrimo Preptober #4 Update

So, I think the first chapter of my work in progress is done! Now, I would love if you would critique it in the comments. So, without farther ado, here is the chapter.



Chapter 1 (First Draft - 403 Words):

      Let's just say... I'm NOT in a good mood. Today is the stupid graduation ceremony and since I'm one of the top graduating students in my class I bet I'll get to be The Highest Apprentice. As I walk into The Quarry Graduation Hall, I am frightened by the fact that I might be The Highest Apprentice in less than 5 minutes. I wish I could just go back to the cold hole in the wall tavern that I live in. I mean, I could really do with a peanut butter and cricket sandwich right now, NOT kidding. I'm a hungry, hungry, hippo.

     "Welcome all to the graduation ceremony here at Quarry School. I will begin by calling students up to the front to receive their job titles. When I call your name please come forward" said Beata, The High Official of Education. At the time of this, Tina is still living on food scraps; she got a free education and because she is so smart she graduates at 13 years old; instead of the usual 15. I think to myself "If I get picked I'm going to kill Beata". I am feeling very angry because I know that The Quarry is an evil place that I am forced to live in but if I don't want to die or be exiled than I must stay here. People wonder why I hate The Quarry so much. It's because The Highest Officials and The Highest Official have killed many people over the years. Not many people know that.

"Domi, Quarry Miner"
"Adam, Quarry Miner"
"Albin, Quarry Miner"
"Danka, Quarry Miner"
"Dosia, Street Sweeper"
"Emilia, Street Sweeper"
"Cyril, Food Production"
"Edmund, Food Production"
"Tina, The Highest Apprentice"

Kids and parents applaud the students who were selected. They are especially proud of me... why ME? I walk up onto the stage to receive my job instructions from Beata. "I never in a million years would have dreamed that I would get this job! It's such... such an honor to be The Highest Apprentice" I said sarcastically. "Lucky me." I mumbled as I walked off the stage and out of The Quarry Graduation Hall. Wow, Dosia is really dumb if he got Street Sweeper as his job. Maybe I should have chose a better person for being in The Quarry Rebellion. Also, I wonder what powers I will get over other people for being The Highest Apprentice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! :)